Christmas Holiday School Premises Management Checklist
Get your school ready for close down
With Christmas just around the corner, now is the time to start thinking about preparing your school’s premises to be closed down for a few weeks.
Premises tasks to consider when closing your school for Christmas
Your school’s site team will need to consider many things when closing for Christmas as there will be little to no personnel on site for 2-4 weeks. Christmas holiday school premises tasks should include:
- Ensure all skips, bins and recycling are cleared and emptied.
- If rubbish needs to be left in a skip, be sure to keep them locked.
Security and alarms
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked.
- Test security systems to check alarms and cameras are working.
- Appoint a list of on-call staff to deal with any activations.
- Check security fencing is well maintained.
- Avoid leaving unnecessary vehicles on site unattended.
- Any vehicles to be left on site should be locked and visible to patrol staff.
- Ensure a minimal amount of combustible materials are left outdoors and kept away from perimeter fences.
- All flammable liquids should be tidied away and locked up.
- Test fire alarms are fully functional.
- All electrical items are switched off (where possible).
- Conduct a risk assessment of the school’s closure and circulate to appropriate staff.
- Discuss with staff the dangers and risk of arson for closed schools.
- Walk the premises again before close down to check procedures and advisories are in place.
Premises Compliance and Health & Safety Checklist – Christmas School Close-Down
We’ve put together a handy checklist for your Site Team and Estate Managers to use when making sure your school is ready to close down for Christmas:
A cost effective way to manage your school’s premises management – iAM Compliant
Looking for an easier and cheaper way to keep on top of your premises compliance and safety management in 2019? Have a look around iAM Compliant to see how we can help.
With premises task reminders, a comprehensive health and safety training e-library, and risk management sections (plus plenty more features coming in the new year), iAM is a cost-effective software designed to help schools stay compliant year-round.